Study abroad in Phuket at Prince of Songkla University
Find out more about studies, semester dates, fees and application deadlines at Prince of Songkla University as well as information on how to apply to study abroad in the university’s international exchange program
Semester dates and application deadlines
||Semester 2 (Spring)
||Semester 1 (Autumn)
||January 8 – May 13
|| August 14 – December 16
||January 3 – 4
|| August 6 – 9
||ended October 15, 2017
||open now until April 30, 2018
2019 (all dates still tentative)
||Semester 2 (Spring)
||Semester 1 (Autumn)
||January 7 – May 11
|| August 13 – December 15
||January 3 – 4
|| August 5 – 8
||open now until September 30, 2018
||open now until April 30, 2019
Key facts about Prince of Songkla University
Prince of Songkla University (PSU) in Phuket is a public, research-driven university that was founded in 1967. It was the first university in Southern Thailand, harnessed to raise the general education standards in the region and to support regional industry and development. Today, PSU is a modern and highly international university that takes pride in its origins as a patron of the local culture, education and environment.
Prince of Songkla University, Phuket Campus
Faculty of Service Industries
80 Moo 1, Vichit Songkram Rd., Kathu
Contact person at Prince of Songkla University
Dr. Pornpisanu Promsivapallop
Studying abroad at Prince of Songkla University
The international study semesters at Prince of Songkla University (PSU) have received overwhelmingly positive feedback from our students, both in terms of the quality of the classes and the suitability of Phuket as a study abroad destination. The courses cover topics from the fields of business, economics, administration, culture, tourism and languages. It is possible to earn up to 36 ECTS.
Prince of Songkla University is responsible for its curriculum, teaching and the transcripts of records. Exchange students participate in the same lectures with local degree students. Some of the courses also include cultural and business excursions. The teaching is conducted in English and many of the lecturers have foreign backgrounds.
Choosing the courses
The university contacts students approximately one month before the semester begins and asks about students’ preliminary course selections. It is possible to make adjustments to the course selections at the beginning of the semester.
Find more information about the available courses by clicking on the links below.
Course information for students
Detailed course programs (ZIP-file)
In the course documents you can find a six-digit course code (e.g. 817-404). The third last digit of the subject code refers to the level of the course: 1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year and 4th year.
All of the courses have a 80 % attendance policy. This includes any e.g. excursions that are part of the course. Failing to adhere to the attendance requirements could lead to the cancellation of your student visa.
Courses and credits
Students can choose up to 6 courses per semester. Most exchange students choose 4 – 5 courses. The minimum number of courses that should be taken is 4.
One completed course at PSU is worth 4 credits which most often translates into 5 – 6 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) credits or 3 – 4 US credits. It’s possible to gain up to 35 ECTS points per semester depending on the course selections you make. Find out more under study credits.
Activities outside class
Phuket is a good destination for anyone living abroad for the first time. The host university takes great care of its international students and organizes many extracurricular activities, such as home stays, Thai cooking classes, clean the beach boot camps, a night at the surf house, and so on. Taking part in the extracurricular activities is a great way to discover the island while getting to know other students.
View the following PDF for descriptions of activities that have been organized during the previous semester. Please note that there are no guarantees that every type of activity will be organized each semester. Extracurricular activities in Phuket
PSU’s campus has excellent sports facilities. The recently renovated sports complex has an Olympic-size swimming pool and a football stadium. You can practice yoga, tai-chi, muay thai, table tennis, tennis, badminton, basketball, volleyball and futsal. Numerous classes, tournaments and cups are organized every year. Sports facilities are open from early morning to late evening and rates are very affordable. For example, reserving a tennis court for one hour costs 60 THB (1,50 EUR) and an entrance to the swimming pool costs you only 20 THB (0,50 EUR).
Your fees support our charity work
As a part of our charity efforts, we donate a part of each student’s tuition fee to Asia Center Foundation, a local organization supporting children’s education and living standards. Students have the chance to familiarize themselves with the organization’s activities during the semester and do volunteer work themselves. Read more about Asia Exchange’s charity work.
In order to study abroad in Thailand you need to apply for a student visa before the start of the semester. Please check the latest news and information about visas before applying for a visa at the Royal Thai Embassy website, where you can also get the required application forms and other information about the application procedure.
Read more about student visa for Thailand.
Prince of Songkla University accreditation
- Ministry of Education in Thailand
- International Association of Universities (IAU)
- One of the top 5 universities in Thailand
- Association of Southeast Asian Institutions of Higher Learning (ASAIHL)
- ASEAN University Network (AUN)
- ASEAN-European University Network (ASEA UNINET)
- Member of The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
Tuition fee: 1990 EUR / semester
Application fee: 75 EUR.
See what’s included in the fees.
Are you from outside of Europe? Find out more about fees.
Benefits when applying via Asia Exchange
- Confirmation within one week
- Asia Exchange Guide with lots of information about studies, visas, accommodation and other tips
- Orientation days
- No English proficiency test required
- 100 EUR discount when you apply for two semesters.
There are plenty of accommodation options near the campus and near popular beaches in Phuket. Options range from basic dorm rooms to luxurious villas. The monthly rent is around 100 – 350 EUR per person.
Find out more about accommodation in Phuket.
Ask former students
Ask our former students for practical hints and tips about living abroad and travel arrangements, what the everyday life at the study destination was like.
“Studying at the Prince of Songkla University in Thailand was so far the best experience of my life. I am more than grateful that I got this opportunity. If you have any questions or you are not sure if Thailand is the right destination for your semester abroad, just let me know, I am more than happy to help you out.”
Angelina, Germany (firstname.lastname@example.org)
“Hey guys! Germany was my first choice. While I was thinking it over, a friend came up to me and invited me to go with him to Phuket. I’m so glad I went with him because the experience was priceless. If you are having a similar problem figuring out where to go, I’d love to talk with you and convince you to go to Phuket”
Josh, United States (email@example.com)
“Studying in a real paradise? I never thought these two things would go together but those 6 months felt like a dream life. Don’t miss this experience which will change your life forever. I’m happy to provide more details and answer any questions. Just drop me an email!”
Barbora, Czech Republic (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Find more testimonials on Facebook
Blogs from Phuket
Judit is a 26-year old student writing about her exchange experience from Phuket in the fall semester of 2015. Her blog features beautiful photos and interesting stories about life in Thailand.
Check the blog
Become a blogger
Do you want to write a blog during your study abroad semester? We’re always on the lookout for good bloggers. If you’d like to write a blog and have us link to it from this page, let us know! Check out our hints and tips for bloggers.
Videos from Phuket
More student videos
Want to read more student experiences?
More blogs from Phuket
Student Interviews from Phuket
Study Abroad Reports from Phuket
Applying to study abroad at Prince of Songkla University
- Applying to study abroad at Prince of Songkla University is easy and quick. You only have to fill out and submit the online application form below with a few attachments.
- If you wish, you can also apply for two semesters right away. You can study for two semesters at either Prince of Songkla University or combine any two destinations, as long as the semesters don’t overlap. When you apply for two semesters, you get a 100 EUR / 120 USD discount on the tuition fee of the second semester.
- You’ll get a confirmation of your study placement already within 1 week. After this you can already start planning your study abroad semester.
- You’ll also get to download a comprehensive Asia Exchange Guide for your destination. This Guide contains lots of useful information and helpful tips for your study abroad semester.
You can find detailed application instructions below, including information about fees and cancellation. Below you can also find a link to the application form. Please read the instructions carefully before you apply.
Who can apply?
Minimum requirements for participation
- A minimum age of 18 years
- A high school diploma or similar certificate. You are not required to be enrolled at an institution of higher education
- Sufficient English skills (B2 level). No language test is required, however.
See the additional requirements.
- An official transcript of records in English (stamped by your home institution), or if you are not currently enrolled at an institution of higher education, a copy of your high school diploma (or similar document) in English.
- A copy of the identification page of your passport. Please note that your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after arriving in Thailand.
Uploading and submitting the documents
- Scan all the required attachments to your computer in PDF format
- Fill out the online application form below and submit it with the required attachments.
Uploading and submitting the attachments
- Please upload the attachments in PDF format.
- If possible, please submit all the attachments together with the application. If you’re missing some attachment(s) when you first apply, you can send the missing document(s) later. However, please note that we won’t process applications without any attachments whatsoever.
- All attachments must be sent to us within 30 days of submitting the application or by the application deadline at the very latest.
- You can submit all the documents electronically. Please don’t send anything via regular mail.
- There is a late application fee for applications or attachments submitted after the application deadline.
Confirmation, official acceptance letter and visa
You’ll get a confirmation of your study placement in 1 week, starting from the day your application is complete with all the required documents.
You’ll receive the official acceptance letter 1.5 months before the semester starts at the latest. We’ll send it to the street address you have provided in your application. Please let us know if this address changes at any point.
You need the official acceptance letter to apply for a student visa.
The application fee invoice will be sent to you soon after the initial acceptance letter. This fee will be due within 10 days of receiving your confirmation. The application fee is non-refundable even if you decide to cancel (see below). You’ll receive the invoice for the tuition fee about 2.5 months before the semester starts.
If you’re unable to participate in the study abroad semester, you have the right to cancel your participation up to 1 month before the semester starts with no extra cost (the application fee will not be refunded, however). Let us know about your cancellation by writing us an email at info[at]asiaexchange.org. Cancellations notified via phone, SMS or by any other means will not be considered. For more detailed information on our cancellation policy, please see terms and conditions for cancellation.
We also reserve the right to cancel your participation if any of your fees becomes overdue. For more information, please see our terms and conditions.
You are required to have a valid accident and health insurance from your home country for the whole duration of the program. The university may request a copy of the insurance certificate in the beginning of the semester. See our recommended travel insurance providers.
Prince of Songkla University Application Form
Note! After submitting the form, you will be redirected to a confirmation page and will receive a confirmation email. Check your inbox for the mail and if you don’t find it there, check your spam folder. If you haven’t received a confirmation email, please contact us immediately.