Learn more about Mataram University and apply
Find out more about studies, semester dates, fees and application deadlines at Mataram University as well as information on how to apply.
Semester dates and application deadlines
||September 3 – December 20
||September 3 – 4
||open now until May 31, 2018
Key facts about Mataram University
Indonesia is the fourth most populous country in the world and has approximately 2000 institutions of higher education. Mataram University, or UNRAM, has already more than 50 years of tradition, since it was established in 1962. Their first office was founded at the historical Indonesian site of Taman Mayura Cakranegara, but moved to the current establishment in 1993. Read more about Mataram University.
Majapahit Street 62, Mataram
West Nusa Tenggara
Lombok – Indonesia
Studying at Mataram University
Asia Exchange students take part in the LISP program (Lombok International Study Program), an international and interdisciplinary study program taught in English. The program is ideal for anyone interested in combining academics with unforgettable experiences in an exotic environment. The program has courses in business, economics, culture and languages. Workshops and excursions are also included in the courses.
Bachelor level courses
- Indonesian Language 10 ECTS (LISP1010) – Syllabus
- Indonesian History and Culture 5 ECTS (LISP1011) – Syllabus
- Business Management 5 ECTS (LISP1013) – Syllabus
- International Business 5 ECTS (LISP1015) – Syllabus
- Tourism Trends in South-East Asia 5 ECTS (LISP1016) – Syllabus
- Cross-Cultural Management 5 ECTS (LISP1017) – Syllabus
Master level courses
- Economy and Business of ASEAN 5 ECTS (LISP1014) – Syllabus
- Global Marketing 5 ECTS (LISP1018) – Syllabus
Most of the courses reward 5 ECTS, with exception of Indonesian language which is 10 ECTS points.
Students may choose between 4-6 courses (25-35 ECTS), of which Indonesian Language (LISP1010) is mandatory. Undergraduate students also have the chance to complete graduate level courses. Credits are granted in ECTS points and can easily be transferred to your degree.
Find out more about converting Indonesian credits.
Outside class activities
LISP student committee organizes many extracurricular activities such as martial arts, traditional Lombok band practice, cooking classes, zumba, Indonesian movie nights etc. On the campus you find many sport activities and student buddies help you to find you a new hobby. Yoga, gym and surfing have been popular among the students.
All students accepted to study abroad at Mataram University need to get a student visa. We recommend all students to start the application process for the visa as soon as they get the required documents. However, you must not apply for the visa too early, because you must arrive in Indonesia within 90 days from the day the visa was issued on.
Read more about the visa application process here.
Mataram University Accreditation
Mataram University is recognized both by the national government, i.e. the Ministry of Education, and the International Association of Universities (IAU). Mataram University is thus an accredited university with the right to grant degrees both for Bachelor’s and Master’s level.
Let the students speak!
“Live your dream!”
Live your dream! Rather than reading and dreaming about unforgettable adventures, why not to experience it all yourself! Hopefully you fall in love with Lombok like I did!
– Tytti, Finland
Get in touch with Tytti
Nathi goes Indo
Nathalie is studying at Mataram University in autumn 2017. In her blog she tells about her life and studies on Lombok. The blog is written in German.
Read the blog
Lisa in Lombok
Lisa spent the fall semester 2016 at the Mataram University. Lisa shares pictures and stories of her time as an exchange student and her personal insights from the Island of Lombok. The blog is written in German.
Check her blog
Become a blogger
Do you want to write a blog during your study abroad semester? We’re always on the lookout for good bloggers. If you’d like to write a blog and have us link to it from this page, let us know! Check out our hints and tips for bloggers.
Applying to study abroad at Mataram University
- Applying to study abroad at Mataram University is easy and quick. You only have to fill out and submit the online application form below with a few attachments.
- If you wish, you can combine a semester in Lombok with semester at another destination like Bali, as long as the semesters don’t overlap. When you apply for two semesters, you get a 100 EUR / 120 USD discount on the tuition fee of the second semester.
- You’ll get a confirmation of your study placement already within a week. After this you can already start planning your semester abroad.
- You’ll also get to download a comprehensive Asia Exchange Guide for your destination. This Guide contains lots of useful information and helpful tips for your study abroad semester.
- We’ll later invite you to a pre-departure webinar, where you’ll get further guidance and tips from our experienced staff, some of whom live in the nearby Bali. Mataram University will also organize an orientation event in the first week of the semester.
You can find detailed application instructions below, including information about fees and cancellation. Below you can also find the link to the application form. Please read the instructions carefully before you apply.
Who can apply
To apply, you need to have at least
- a minimum age of 18 years
- a high school diploma or similar certificate
- sufficient English skills (B2 level). You’re not required to take an official language test, however.
See the additional requirements.
- An official transcript of records of all your semesters in English (stamped by your home institution) or, if you are not currently enrolled at an institution of higher education, a copy of your high school diploma (or similar document) in English. Click the link above for an example transcript of records. The format may vary from university to university.
- A copy of the identification page of your passport. Please note that your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after leaving Indonesia. If your passport expires earlier, please apply for a new passport early.
- Scan all the required attachments to your computer in PDF format.
- Fill out the online application form below and submit it with the required attachments.
Uploading and submitting the attachments
- Please upload the attachments in PDF format.
- If possible, please submit all the attachments together with the application. If you’re missing some attachment(s) when you first apply, you can send the missing document(s) later. However, please note that we won’t process applications without any attachments whatsoever.
- All attachments must be sent to us within 30 days of submitting the application or by the application deadline at the very latest.
- You can submit all the documents electronically. Please don’t send anything via regular mail.
- There is a late application fee for applications or attachments submitted after the application deadline.
Confirmation, official acceptance letter and visa
You’ll get a confirmation of your study placement in 1 week, starting from the day your application is complete with all the required documents.
You’ll receive the official acceptance letter 1.5 months before the semester starts at the latest. We’ll send it to the street address you have provided in your application. Please let us know if this address changes at any point.
You need the official acceptance letter to apply for a student visa.
The application fee invoice will be sent to you soon after the initial acceptance letter. This fee will be due within 10 days of receiving your confirmation. The application fee is non-refundable even if you decide to cancel (see below). You’ll receive the invoice for the tuition fee about 2.5 months before the semester starts.
If you’re unable to participate in the study abroad semester, you have the right to cancel your participation up to 1 month before the semester starts with no extra cost (the application fee will not be refunded, however). Let us know about your cancellation by writing us an email at info[at]asiaexchange.org. Cancellations notified via phone, SMS or by any other means will not be considered. For more detailed information on our cancellation policy, please see terms and conditions for cancellation.
We also reserve the right to cancel your participation if any of your fees becomes overdue. For more information, please see our terms and conditions.
You are required to have a valid accident and health insurance from your home country for the whole duration of the program. The university may request a copy of the insurance certificate in the beginning of the semester. See our recommended travel insurance providers.
Mataram University Application Form
Note! After submitting the form, you will be redirected to a confirmation page and will receive a confirmation email. Check your inbox for the mail and if you don’t find it there, check your spam folder. If you haven’t received a confirmation email, please contact us immediately.