Visas for Asian countries in general

  • Most Asian countries require a visa for long-term residency and studying
  • The information given on this page is general and it’s only meant to be an aid for those who haven’t previously applied for a visa. Please contact the embassy of your study abroad destination in your home country before applying for a visa. They will be able to provide you with the current prices and information about the application procedure.
  • You should also keep in mind that the visa procedures vary from country to country and sometimes even depending on the clerk at the embassy. We recommend you to take care of their visa-related matters before leaving for the destination, and if needed, update the visa at the study abroad destination once they are acquainted with the visa procedure.
  • The embassies help out with all matters in English.
  • Check the latest updates on applying for a visa and the opening hours of the embassy from the embassy websites or by calling the embassy directly. Embassies are open according to the public and religious holidays of the country they represent, as well as the holidays of the country they are located in.
  • When applying for a student visa, please keep in mind that a student visa only allows you to study in the destination country, just like a tourist visa entitles only for vacationing in the country and a working visa for work.
  • Some countries do not accept visa applications by mail. If you cannot visit the embassy in person, you can usually assign a third party to do it for you. Both travel agencies and relatives are an option, for example.


All of our destinations require you to have a valid passport. The majority of our destinations require your passport to be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the moment you enter the country. As such you should pay special attention to renew your passport well in advance if necessary. It can take up to 6 weeks in some countries to receive your new passport from the moment you request a new one.

Some countries may offer a more expensive but faster option for passport delivery in cases where it is urgently needed. Please bear in mind these express passports may be subject to some limitations compared to normal passports.

For example, the UK offers an urgent service, which while more costly, allows you to obtain a passport within 1 week instead of the normal 3+ weeks.

For more information we highly recommend you check your country’s passport delivery conditions by contacting the local delivering authorities or by visiting the government’s website.

Never miss an application deadline or an interesting story

Sign up for email updates

Asia Exchange, Vuorikatu 3 L 3 33100 Tampere, Finland
Email: Tel: +358 45 322 1230, Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm (GMT +2)
© 2007-2017 Asia Exchange

Site by Atomi