STUDYING IN KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA
Study abroad in Malaysia, in one of the best universities in the country, in the exciting capital city of Kuala Lumpur. Universiti Putra Malaysia and the thrilling metropolitan area of Kuala Lumpur offer a great environment for a study abroad semester or two that is both academically vigorous and culturally engaging.
HIGHLIGHTS OF STUDYING ABROAD IN MALAYSIA
1. Studies in Kuala Lumpur, one of Asia’s most important business hubs, will give you a better understanding on Asia’s growing importance in today’s globalized world.
2. Universiti Putra Malaysia is one of the leading research universities in Malaysia and ranks well internationally. There are hundreds of courses available from various different faculties every semester.
3. English is widely spoken in Malaysia. This gives you a great opportunity to improve your English skills.
4. Kuala Lumpur is the melting pot of cultures, religions – and food!
5. There’s plenty of things to see in Malaysia. From KLIA airport you can reach numerous beautiful destinations in Southeast Asia after the semester has ended.
UNIVERSITI PUTRA MALAYSIA, KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA
Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) in Kuala Lumpur is ranked as the second best university in Malaysia (Times Higher Education 2016) and acknowledged among the top 400 universities in the world (QS World Ranking, place 376). UPM is a public university, founded in 1931. It has 16 faculties and approximately 32 000 students. The university is located in the capital of Kuala Lumpur and is among the elite institutions in the city.
COURSES AND STUDYING
- Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences
- Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology
- Faculty of Design and Architecture
- Faculty of Economics and Management
- Faculty of Educational Studies
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Environmental Studies
- Faculty of Food Science and Technology
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Human Ecology
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
The available courses for study abroad students are listed under the above faculties. You can choose courses from several faculties. Most courses are Bachelor’s level courses taught in English. The courses which have number 4 as the first number in the course code are Master’s level courses, for example the course code MGM4149 indicates that it is a Master’s level course. Check that the course is organized during the semester you wish to partake (see an example). Please note that autumn semester is semester 1 (September intake) and spring semester is semester 2 (February intake). Students’ study background should suit the courses taken abroad, i.e. they should choose courses that complement their major.
A study abroad program at UPM costs 1440 EUR. This is less expensive than for regular free mover students, who pay around 2000 EUR on average. You can check the prices from the UPM’s website. The application fee is 75 EUR.
Non-European students: check the fees here.
When participating in two semesters at UPM, students will be given a 100 EUR discount on the tuition fee of the second semester. The tuition for both semesters is paid before the start of the study abroad program.
In addition to the study place, you will benefit from our services, receive an Asia Exchange Guide, a Student Card and an Orientation Day at the destination. The study materials are either provided free-of-charge or can be acquired very affordably.
In the destination students need to pay small fees for, for example, the library services, a health inspection and a bus pass (approx. 90 EUR in total). Unlike other free movers, non-native English speakers going abroad via us are not required to take a TOEFL English language proficiency test which costs approximately 185 $.
APPLYING TO UNIVERSITI PUTRA MALAYSIA
Applying to Universiti Putra Malaysia is easy and you will receive a confirmation within a week of sending your application.
FOR WHOM IS THE PROGRAM INTENDED?
The courses reflect the international standards of an education system based on the Oxbrige (Oxford and Cambridge) model of teaching, and many of the lecturers are foreign or have international experience. The typical participants are students of business, technology, humanities, social sciences, political science and natural sciences. Students study together with both local and international students.
Studies in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, one of Asia’s most important business hubs, will equip students with a better understanding on Asia’s growing importance in today’s globalized world.
The study abroad period will be seen as an asset when entering the job market and competing for jobs. Studying abroad will develop creative thinking skills and intercultural competence, which are highly valued by employers in today’s globalized world. Ask your home institution about transferring the study credits into your degree.