STUDYING IN LOVABLE LOMBOK
Even though it is less known than its big sister Bali, Lombok is thought by many to be the most beautiful island in Indonesia. Only a 25 minute flight or a couple of hours boat trip away from Bali, Lombok’s unspoiled nature, serene atmosphere and warm community spirit offer an ideal backdrop for a distinctively different study abroad semester. Just off the coast of Lombok are also the world famous Gili islands that belong to Lombok and that for example Lonely Planet considers to be one of Asia’s top destinations.
The international program at Mataram University can be joined for one semester. It is easy to apply and your placement will be confirmed within a week.
HIGHLIGHTS OF STUDYING ABROAD IN LOMBOK
- Enjoy the calm, serene atmosphere and unspoiled natural landscapes of this beautiful island less populated by tourists.
- Experience the warm and welcoming community spirit of the island, which allows for a full immersion in the local culture.
- Get an exclusive experience. You’ll get a chance to take part in a program provided through our exclusive agreement with Mataram University.
- Get a chance to study in one of the oldest and most respected universities in the area. Mataram University was founded already in 1962.
- The Lombok International Study Program (LISP) is the only semester long international study program in Lombok.
- Both Bachelor’s and Master’s level courses, workshops, and excursions.
- Many different kinds of extracurricular activities which allow you meet and make friends with local students.
- The student base is also truly international and it’s easy to get in touch with students from Indonesia and all over the world.
- Within a short distance from many of the most beautiful islands and beaches in Indonesia.
- Our growing staff in Bali will be near you to help you get the best out of your experience.
Mataram University – Lombok, Indonesia
Indonesia is the fourth most populous country in the world and has approximately 2000 institutions of higher education. Mataram University, or UNRAM, has already more than 50 years of tradition, since it was established in 1962. Their first office was founded at the historical Indonesian site of Taman Mayura Cakranegara, but moved to the current establishment in 1993.
Mataram University is a public university operating under the National Education Ministry. The university runs eight faculties and teaches about 34 000 students. International students in Lombok come mainly from Asian countries, but there is a growing interest from Western countries as well.
Mataram University has a growing international network. In 2009, there were 75 international students at Mataram, but the number is increasing due to the growing world-wide interest in studying in Lombok.
COURSES AND STUDYING
Asia Exchange students take part in the LISP program (Lombok International Study Program), an international and interdisciplinary study program taught in English. The program is ideal for anyone interested in combining academics with unforgettable experiences in an exotic environment. The program has courses in business, economics, culture and languages. Workshops and excursions are also included in the courses.
The goal of the program is to increase students’ knowledge of Indonesia and Asia in an international and stimulating environment. In accordance with the lecturers’ diverse international backgrounds, the program challenges students to a more universal, analytic and interdisciplinary way of thinking and learning.
The university also offers various kinds of free time activities for both international and local students, allowing them to get to know each other and build friendships. These activities include sports, recycling workshops, cooking classes and Indonesian movie nights.
The program consists of the following courses:
- Indonesian Language 10 ECTS (LISP1010) – Undergraduate (Syllabus)
- Indonesian History and Culture 5 ECTS (LISP1011) – Undergraduate (Syllabus)
- Business Management 5 ECTS (LISP1013) – Undergraduate (Syllabus)
- International Business 5 ECTS (LISP1015) – Undergraduate (Syllabus)
- Tourism Trends in South-East Asia 5 ECTS (LISP1016) – Undergraduate (Syllabus)
- Cross-Cultural Management 5 ECTS (LISP1017) – Undergraduate (Syllabus coming soon)
- Economy and Business of ASEAN 5 ECTS (LISP1014) – Graduate (Syllabus)
- Global Marketing 5 ECTS (LISP1018) – Graduate (Syllabus)
Students may choose between 4-6 courses (25-35 ECTS), of which Indonesian Language (LISP1010) is mandatory. Undergraduate students also have the chance to complete graduate level courses. Credits are granted in ECTS points and can easily be transferred to your degree.
A semester tuition fee at Mataram University is 1390 EUR (2500 USD for non-European students). The application fee is 75 EUR.
The tuition fee is paid before the start of the study abroad program. If you want to apply for a second semester at any other Asia Exchange’s partner university, you get a 100 EUR discount on the tuition fee of the second semester. Read more about the benefits of spending two semesters abroad here.
In addition to the study place, you will benefit from Asia Exchange’s services, receive an AE Guide, Orientation Days and an Ice-Breaking event at the first weekend of the semester. The study materials are either provided free-of-charge or can be purchased very affordably.
APPLYING TO MATARAM UNIVERSITY
Applying to Mataram University is easy and you will get a confirmation from Asia Exchange within a week from sending in your application.
FOR WHOM IS THE PROGRAM INTENDED?
The LISP program is a perfect fit especially for business students, but anyone who decides to complement their degree with interesting minor subjects will benefit from studying in Lombok.
Regardless of your study background, the study abroad period will always be seen as an asset when entering the job market and competing for jobs. Studying abroad will develop creative thinking skills and intercultural competence, which are highly valued by employers in today’s globalized world.
The island of Lombok, so-called unspoiled Bali, is a true paradise for anyone interested in natural beauty, indigenous culture and traditional way of life in a tropical setting. Not forgetting the devoted sun bathers or surfers who can enjoy the white beaches and wonderful waves all around the island.