Korea – Visa

Student Visa for Korea

We always recommend students who have been accepted to study at the Hankuk University of Foreign Studies to contact the Korean embassy in their country for the most up to date information since visa requirements change quite frequently.

All international students residing outside Korea will need to apply for a student visa at the embassy or consulate of the Republic of Korea. You can apply for the visa at almost any Korean embassy in the world.

Apply for your student visa immediately after receiving your official acceptance letter from Korea. If you don’t have a student visa by the start of the semester, you will be fined.

You will also apply for an Alien Residence Card once in Korea. The card will enable you to make trips abroad during your semester in Korea. The host university will help you get the Card after you’ve arrived.

Please note that according to the official guidance of HUFS, you have to leave Korea within 1 week of the semester’s ending date, otherwise you’ll be heavily fined by the Korean Immigration.

The required documents for the student visa application (D-2)

  1. An application form no. 34  (download from the Korean embassy’s website, see an example here)
  2. Passport
  3. Photocopy of passport
  4. A color photo (3.5 x 4.5 cm)
  5. Application fee (54 EUR, except German students: see below)
  6. A copy of Business Registration Certificate of Korean university (AE will mail this to you)
  7. Acceptance letter from the Korean university (AE will mail this to you)
  8. Proof of finances that cover the living costs for your semester in Korea (see below for more information)
  9. A recommendation letter from your home university
  10. A document proving you have completed one or more semesters at your home university (i.e. transcript of records)

Additional information and documents for German students:

  • German citizens are exempted from the application fee for a student visa
  • Additional documents:
    – A Korean contact person (include address and phone number); Ms. Jia Shin is your HUFS contact person, please see the Guide for her contact details.
    – For non-German citizens: proof of permanent residence in Germany

You can either visit the embassy or mail the application documents and your passport to the embassy. Please call the embassy for details.

Proof of finances (no. 8):

The easiest way to demonstrate your finances are to print out an account slip from your bank account. You should have at the least enough money to cover the tuition fee on your account, or submit information on scholarship or state sponsorship money that you will be given (e.g. Kela/BAföG).

You can either borrow the required amount of money from your, e.g. parents, and return it immediately after you have received your account slip, or you can submit your parent’s account slip. In the latter case, however, you need to prove your relations to your parent with an official document.

Information for summer school students

Most international students do not need to obtain a student visa to attend the HUFS summer school. Most of the students are normally given a visa on arrival (a stamp on the passport) at the airport which allows them to stay in Korea for 3 months.

However, it is the responsibility of the student to use his or her official acceptance letter to apply for the correct visa if needed. Prospective students should inquire with the closest Korean consular office as to whether a visa is required for a 5-week stay in Korea for citizens of their country.

If you are from a country requiring a visa to enter Korea, you may apply for a Temporary Visiting Visa C3 for up to 3 months. It is a short term visa for purposes such as studying and visiting the country.

Students who plan to stay longer than 90 days need to apply for Residence Permission at the Seoul Immigration Office within 90 days of their arrival in Korea.

Back_arrow Back


January 10, 2017
Universiti Putra Malaysia ranks high on the UI-Gre ...

January 9, 2017
Asia Exchange Blog – Most read articles of 2016

December 1, 2016
Bali Summer School now open for applications!

November 17, 2016
Asia Exchange participates in the IAU General Conf ...

November 11, 2016
What’s up, Blokess in Bangkok?

November 3, 2016
NEW DESTINATION! Study in Japan via Asia Exchange!

November 1, 2016
Asian higher education rising to the top

October 21, 2016
Win a Semester Abroad and Flights with Asia Exchan ...

October 12, 2016
Apply for a four month summer semester in Bali!

September 19, 2016
The first ever LISP program kicks off in Lombok

  • What was your New Year's resolution for 2017?

    Loading ... Loading ...